In addition, we continue to focus on reducing our carbon footprint. By committing to making a change at a local level, we can aim to build a better world for us all.
The EnviroMall initiative is the first partnership accreditation scheme developed specifically for shopping centres and aims to assist them and their retailers to improve their performance and reduce their impact on the environment.
- We have recycled 102 tonnes of cardboard the equivalent to 1734 trees.
- We recycled 63 food bins, which is the equivalent of 10 Tons of food which is sent to an anaerobic digester which harvests natural gases reducing our carbon footprint.
- 22 paper dovales have been recycled by us. It takes 24 trees to produce each ton of newspaper, equivalent to 168 trees.
- We have reduced our electricity consumption by over 80,812 kilowatt hours(kwh). Enough energy to heat one average family home for 42 years.
We have a dedicated recycling facilities for newspapers, magazines, plastic bottles and glasses and we have given away more than 160 reusable Mall Monster water bottles for every three single use ones that are handed in at the Ask Me Point. There is also a water refill station for guests to fill their water bottles.
Our retailers who also take sustainability seriously:
- H&M- H&M stock many garments containing more sustainable materials across all departments all year round – just look for the green Conscious hangtag. Plus hand in your bag of old clothes at the cash desk and receive a £5 voucher to use towards your next purchase of £25 (or more). All clothes are either reused, reworn or recycled with 0% going to landfill.
- schuh- Sell Your Soles initiative in partnership with Recyclatex. Bring in your used, unwanted or outgrown footwear to store to send off for recycling - they don’t even have to be from schuh! Then you’ll receive a £5 off* voucher to buy a fresh pair. (*T&Cs apply, see in store for details.).
- The Body Shop- return your empty plastic bottles, tubs, tubes and pots to store so TerraCycle® can collect to recycle or repurpose into new items like park benches or playgrounds.
- Wilko – They have committed to ensuring a minimum 30% recycled content across its plastic packaging by April 2022.
- The Perfume Shop – Have you heard about their empty perfume Bottle Recycle Scheme? Don't bin them! Take them to one of their stores and they will recycle them for you. Taking recycling to the next level they have partnered with Eden Reforestation Projects (Eden) to help give back to our planet. Eden plant trees in locations around the world. For every bottle recycled with them, they will donate the cost of planting one tree to Eden Reforestation Projects, to help them carry out their amazing work and help you feel good when you smell good.
- New Look – They became one of the first global fashion retailers in the world to achieve both the Carbon Neutral Gold Standard and UN Climate Neutral Now Participation. This means that they are now officially net zero carbon for all their direct operations.
Did you know?...
We have our very own dedicated wall for you to recycle situated by Wilko right here in The Mall?